OpenClassrooms is a mission-driven company that makes education accessible to everyone, everywhere.
We are the leading online education platform in Europe and Africa, offering fully accredited online diplomas based on the skills of the future and gathering each month a passionate community of 2 million students from around the world.
We are very proud to be part of the B Corp community (more than 3,500 companies that combine profit and general interest) and to have the Great Place to Work label. OpenClassrooms is also part of the Next40 group for the second consecutive year.
In April 2021, we announced new fundraising of 80 million dollars. This will help us invest in our product, continue our growth and make education even more accessible across the world!
Welcome to the revolution of education! #BecomeFutureProof
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join OpenClassrooms reporting directly to the Tech Director - to democratize data insights in all areas of OpenClassrooms.
This is a new role at OpenClassrooms and the successful candidate will be confident in coming in and establishing it to add value as quickly as possible.
This role requires an analytical and business-oriented mindset with the ability to implement rigorous database solutions and best practices in order to produce strong quality data insights to drive business decisions. This role can be fully remote or office-based. In recognition of the fact that most of the business activity is currently in France - it would make sense for the successful candidate to be based there or in the UK and to be a fluent English and French speaker.
As a Data Engineer, you will act as software engineers who have a particular focus on data movement, data transformation and orchestration:
- Build and maintain data pipelines from internal databases and SaaS applications
- Maintain our data warehouse with timely and quality data
- Create and maintain architecture and systems documentation
- Write maintainable, performant code
- Implement the DataOps philosophy in everything you do
- Plan and execute system expansion as needed to support the company's growth and analytic needs
- Collaborate with Data Analysts to drive efficiencies for their work
- Collaborate with other functions to ensure data needs are addressed
Reports to Tech Director
YOU WILL LOVE THIS JOB IF
- You have knowledge of and experience with data-related Python packages
- You have a demonstrably deep understanding of SQL and analytical data warehouses (Redshift preferred)
- You have hands-on experience implementing ETL (or ELT) best practices at scale.
- You have hands-on experience with data pipeline tools (Airflow, dbt)
- You have strong data modelling skills and familiarity with the Kimball methodology.
- You have experience with Salesforce, Zuora, Zendesk as data sources and consuming data from SaaS application APIs.
- You are constantly improving product quality, security, and performance
- You desire to continually keep up with advancements in data engineering practices
- You catch bugs and style issues in code reviews
- You ship small features independently
- 2+ years hands-on experience deploying production quality code
- Professional experience using Python, Java, or Scala for data processing (Python preferred)
WHY JOIN US
- A work environment and a strong culture built on agility, openness, respect and high quality
- A competitive salary
- Health insurance (“Mutuelle”) monthly fee entirely paid by OpenClassrooms and remote medical consultations for free
- Access to professional development training sponsored by OpenClassrooms
- Pass Navigo entirely paid by OpenClassrooms
- Meal vouchers (Employer contribution at 60%, the max authorised by law)
- Access to the gym for free (Gymlib paid by OpenClassrooms)
- Unlimited days off, and after 1 year at OpenClassrooms, a 1.000€ premium once a year for 15+ days off taken
- “Remote First” work policy
- A company MacBook / PC
- The journey starts with an introductory call with an Engineering Manager
- Then you will be invited to work on a Case Study to validate your practical job-related skills
- This will be followed by a videoconference with other team members
- Then you will meet with a member of the Talent Acquisition team
- For the very final round, you will meet with our CTO to understand the Tech Team’s vision: this is an opportunity for you to understand our upcoming challenges and to ask any remaining questions
- Finally, you will be asked to provide us with professional references including contact details.
Intrigued? We’d love to hear from you! Apply today — we’re standing by for your resume!
Feel free to check our online course How do we work at OpenClassrooms to get the gist of who we are.
OpenClassrooms is a French hyper-growth company eligible for the French Tech Visa program. That means, for foreign candidates, benefiting from the accelerated procedure to apply for a "Talent Passport" residence permit. There is also a simplified "accompanying family" procedure available for spouse and dependent minor children. More information here.
Working at OpenClassrooms means joining a dynamic and stimulating team, take up challenges, meet awesome people every week, and change the world, a little bit, every day!